Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Bible Women, Part B

This set of stories was even more captivating than the last! I was shocked as I read these stories because I did not realize how dark some of the subjects in the Bible could be. Firstly, I did not realize that the bible referenced witchcraft, but I did like the story of the Witch of Endor because seeing a person of power and prestige (King Saul) needing to disguise himself is fun. Continuing on, I did not realize that King David was such a savage.  He is a character that just keeps getting worse, even when you think he can't get any worse. This was an interesting aspect to the story because it kept the story taking unexpected turns. King David was so very evil, but this made for a captivating story. The story of Esther was incredible in that true love prevailed over evil. The Bible is straightforward in its storytelling, but there are some vague aspects to it, too. I like this about the Bible, but I think it would be difficult to find that happy medium. The story of Susanna truly captivated me. It reminded me of a modern day situation. This is what I especially liked about it. I could literally see the headlines in our current media matching this biblical story. I want to do a story where Susanna's trial leads to a feminist march. It could be a huge media story, all over the news an social media. Daniel could actually be a man who is a feminist who leads to the finding of her innocence. She would not be tried for death, of course, but her attackers could almost escape their punishment. There could be a misogynistic judge who takes the men's side in a he-said/she-said trial. This could be a very fun story to write.

                                      Susanna and the Elders, painting by Sisto Badalocchio

Stories of Women from the Bible, link to online source

No comments:

Post a Comment