Sunday, January 29, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

     I have to give feedback often, considering I am a cheer coach, and it is literally my job to give my kids feedback. However, I am not so used to receiving feedback anymore. When I was an athlete in high school I was good at taking constructive criticism, but I actually think I have gotten worse at it. The four articles on feedback I read were all incredibly useful and gave me insightful tips.
     Let's focus on receiving feedback first since that seems to be my weak point. I read 5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ which helped me realize the importance of mastering feedback reception. Tips 2 and 3 were the most helpful for me. Tip 2 reminded me that having rom for improvement is a good thing because it means I am still able to get better, while tip 3 reminded me to not take feedback so personally, meaning I need to take feedback for what it is and not attribute it to my character in general. The article Silence the Critical Vices in Your Head had a story in it that resonated with me. The man in the story focused on his workers negative feedback more than the positive, which got him down and hindered him from doing his best work. Like many people, I often only focus on the negative, instead of giving thought to the positive. I need to keep in mind all the positive feedback I receive and not give so much importance to the negative feedback.
    

   Feedback Cats, petswelcome


     Although I see myself as good at giving feedback, I actually found the articles I read on this topic even more helpful than the previous two. I read 7 Key Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback which explained how an important part of giving feedback is making it revolve around a goal, which I had not really considered before. I think this will be useful for me in giving feedback as I need to consider what a person's goal might be and then give useful feedback to achieve that goal. The most helpful article I read though was The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self-Esteem. It explained how praise needs to be centered around the work a person did for the accomplishment instead of a general character trait. I found this particularly useful because I can use this advice in how I praise my daughter to create a hard-working citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment