Monday, January 16, 2017

Favorite Place- Checotah, OK

Memories are what make a place a favorite. When asked about my favorite place, I immediately consider different places I have been and the memories that come with them. I feel that this is a common response to the question. Therefore, my favorite place is the place where I have some of my fondest memories: Checotah, Oklahoma. Carrie Underwood put this town on the map when she won American Idol, but like Carrie, my parents were also born and raised there. I spent nearly every important holiday there as a child, as well as time during summer break. My siblings and I would chant "Checotah, Checotah" from the time we saw the water tower until we crossed the railroad tracks to arrive at Ma's (our grandma's) house . There was always an adventure to stumble upon in Checotah. There is beauty in its historic buildings downtown and the open fields with cows and horses and barns and hay bales. A visitor is always greeted with a smile, and even the animals are friendly. It may not be exciting or exotic, but its simplicity will win you over. Visit Katy CafĂ© (named after the Katy Railroad) for delicious home-style cooking or Sharpe's department store to get the best deal on designer jeans one can find. Explore the creek for fossils, ride some horses, and jump some hay bales. You can have the time of your life in this little small town.

                                                                           
Welcome Sign- All About Town

Beauty in Unexpected Places

The Katy Railroad (Missouri- Kansas- Texas Railroad)- CarrTracks
Four-wheeler on the Farm

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these pictures, Lillie! I have seen the Welcome sign, but I have never visited the historic downtown. And your post made me curious about where the name came from, so I learned about Samuel Checote: so cool! I can add that to my "learn something new every day" file! :-)

    ReplyDelete