Thursday, February 2, 2017

Week 3 Storytelling: Blessing in Disguise

"That is a mighty fine woman there, Pete."
Pete was too busy gawking at the beautiful woman walking by the pool below to answer his co-worker.
"Pete!" John tried again to gain his attention. This time Pete turned his head to John, a confused expression on his face.
"What?"
"Are you staring hard enough as Mrs. Rhodes?"
"My staring at her is making me hard enough, if you know what I mean," Pete answered with a perverted wink.
"Come on, man. That's our boss's wife! Plus, that's just plain distasteful," John responded as he shook his head.
"I'd like to taste her," Pete stated, completely disregarding his co-worker.
"Yeah well, you can't. So you better just get over it. Come on, let's finish trimming these bushes so we can go home."

"John, we are going to have her tomorrow," Pete said to John from the passenger seat of the truck on their way home.
"What are you talking about, man?"
"We are going to have her. Plain and simple."
"First of all," John started, "there is no 'we' here. She is a married woman, and she is not just a piece of meat to take as you please."
"Oh, shut up Johnny! Please!" Pete said with an exasperated sigh. "You'll see."
"Don't do anything stupid, Peter. Number one, she is married. Number two, she doesn't like you. Just grow up," John said sternly. He had had enough of Pete's disrespect and insensitivity.
As John pulled up to Pete's house, Pete simply said, "you'll see," before hopping out of the car and walking to his door. John worried the whole way home. He knew his co-worker was bad news, but surely he wouldn't hurt anybody.

The next day John arrived at Pete's house at 8am sharp. Pete got in the truck, grinning. "You're awfully perky today," John said.
"That's because today is the day, Johnny boy." John shook his head and turned up the radio, oblivious to the ideas brewing in Pete's head. They arrived to the Rhodes residence right on time, as Mr. Rhodes was walking out the door, giving Susanna a goodbye kiss before he left.
"The pool needs a good cleaning, boys. And I need you to replace the lightbulbs in the master bathroom. Ah yes, and tend to anything my sweet Susanna should request!" Mr. Rhodes exclaimed as he entered his vehicle.
"Yes sir," the men said in unison, Pete looking a bit too happy. The two men began fulfilling their daily duties. They started with the pool since that was Mr. Rhodes' first request. Susanna was sitting poolside as she did every morning. They begin clearing the pool of leaves, one man on each side. Pete grinned at Susanna from across the pool; she smiled back innocently. John walked by Susanna, and she asked him if he could get her a glass of orange juice. Of course he agreed since Mr. Rhodes instructions were to tend to Susanna, but he did not want to leave her alone with Pete. The kitchen was all the way on the opposite side of the mansion, but what could he do? It will be fine, he told himself.

Rhodes Mansion, link to online source


Pete watched as John walked to the house. Once he saw the door closed he approached Mrs. Rhodes. She smiled at Pete as he got closer. "How is your day today, Peter?"
"It's about to get way better Mrs. Rhodes," he said as he rushed toward her. He threw himself on top of her, going in for a kiss. Susanna started to scream, but Peter covered her mouth before she could do so. While keeping his hand over her mouth, Peter told Susanna to remain quiet or he would tell Mr. Rhodes that this was her idea. He began undressing Susanna, which did not take long enough, as she was in a swimsuit. Suddenly they heard a car engine. Pete looked up to see Mr. Rhodes pulling in the driveway. He bolted as Mr. Rhodes got out of his car and headed towards the pool. Susanna was in shock and did not know what to do. Simultaneously John returned with the orange juice as Mr. Rhodes walked on the scene. John was just as shocked as Mr. Rhodes, but before anyone could speak Pete suddenly reappeared.
"John how could you!" Pete cried, pretending to be shocked. Mr. Rhodes was furious.
"Somebody tell me what is going on right now!" Pete began explaining to Mr. Rhodes the situation, completely twisting it. He led Mr. Rhodes to believe that John and Susanna were having an affair. Because Mr. Rhodes is away a lot and arrogant, he believed this story. "Get off my property-the both of you! You'll be hearing from my lawyer, Susanna!" Susanna walked away in tears, not knowing where to go, as John followed her in disbelief. John hurried to his car, but before he got in, he turned back to look at Susanna. She looked hopeless, and she had no clothes to wear. John quickly grabbed his sweatshirt from the back seat and ran to Susanna. She was crying when he approached her, but she gladly took the sweatshirt. John nervously asked, "Mrs. Rhodes, would you like a ride somewhere?"
"Just call me Susannah," she said, wiping away the tears. "I'm not Mrs. Rhodes anymore. But yes, that would be lovely." The two got in the car as Mr. Rhodes and Pete watched from the pool. Mr. Rhodes was already on the phone with his lawyer.

two years later:
Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes got a divorce.
Mr. Rhodes remarried... But she left him and took almost everything in the divorce.
Pete ended up incarcerated for rape-serving 20 years.
John and Susanna are dating, and John plans on popping the question soon!

Author's Note: I changed this story a whole bunch, but I had a lot of fun with it. The story was developing even as I wrote it. I used the story in the Bible as my inspiration. Susanna is falsely accused of being unfaithful by her attackers who attempted to rape her. She is almost sentenced to death, but Daniel finds a way to prove her innocence. There was a lot of betrayal in that story, so I used that as a recurring theme in my story as well. In addition to using the same idea from the story to have Susanna have a happy ending while her attacker have a just one.

Bibliography: The story of Susanna from the Book of Daniel in the Bible, link to online source

6 comments:

  1. Lillie,

    I really enjoyed reading your story about Pete, John, and Susannah. I really liked the dialogue between all of the characters because it allowed me to understand every characters personality. I thought you did a good job with creating a really creepy/evil persona with Pete. I immediately did not like him! The theme of betrayal is shown throughout the story so I am glad that you explained why you chose that in your Author’s Note. Overall, this was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job of writing dialogue. It conveys the characters' personalities without resorting to narration. Doing this more with other characters like Mr. Rhodes and Susannah in favor of omniscient narration could help inform their personalities more and make the story more cohesive.

    When the story reached the end, I couldn't help but wonder what else happened to the characters. Filling in more details or creating a sort of aftermath ending could help tie up the loose ends in a more satisfying way. I also wondered about some of the characters' decisions in the story, like John leaving Pete to his own devices or Mr. Rhodes believing Pete's story so easily. Some further exploration of character could fill this in.

    Separating some paragraphs and dialogue quotations with white space could also help make your story more attractive. Sometimes it seemed liked proper pauses in ideas were put into the same paragraph, causing the stream of thought to become a little jarring. A good start for a good idea, Lillie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your story, Lillie! You did an excellent job with realistic dialogue (especially with Pete's creepy comments about Susanna!) and the theme of betrayal was very present throughout. The interactions between characters seemed natural and I almost felt as if I were a bystander in the story myself. I liked that John was kind to Susanna and helped her with whatever she needed, especially giving her his sweatshirt at the end. I liked that you fast-forwarded two years to fill readers in on how the story ends without dragging it on too long. I would like to know how Pete ended up in jail after initially blaming John, so you could develop a second part to this story and explain that part. This was a really good story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked through different stories for my WOW feedback and yours seemed to capture my attention. I was super intrigued by your story, because of the way you utilized your dialogue from the beginning. It was very perverse and quite hilarious in a good way. I wanted to know how you were transforming your story from that dialogue and couldn’t help but guess close to right. Though I was still curious that you would tell a different story from rape and false testimony. I also wondered why Mr. Rhodes couldn’t just listen to her side of things and just believed Pete right off the bat. I wished it could’ve been different though this is your retelling.
    The ending seemed pretty quick, though I understand the fast-forwarding and having to sum everything up. The part of my what if lies within the wondering if Mr. Rhodes didn’t believe all of what Pete had said. Would Pete still go to jail and would John join him? Or would John still be working for them, because he was the only one in his right mind?
    There’s definitely a lot that could be switched around and improved, but overall you did great! It was a funny, yet sad and realistic story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!! This story was so intense! I was completely intrigued in the beginning. Then my curiosity quickly turned to concern for the woman. I truthfully didn’t want to stop reading until I found out what happened! I love that Pete went to prison and Susannah was able to move on and (hopefully) live a happy life with John. I love the irony in Mr. Rhode’s new wife taking him for everything he had since he acted so rashly and didn’t trust his first wife, who presumably was faithful to him. I think you did a fantastic job of modernizing this story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was interesting. I just kept reading so that I could find out what was going on and what would happen next in the story and it was really good. I am glad that pete gets time in prison since he should not have done anything in the first place. This could honestly happen and I am glad that you showed us that in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete