Thursday, April 13, 2017

Story Planning: The Adventures of Robin Hood Live On

Source Notes: Robin Hood is an extremely ornery character who carries himself with extreme confidence and what seems like arrogance at times. Despite this though, he is an extremely likable character who is generous and kind. His many adventures create this illusion that he is truly invincible, so when I read the story about him dying, I could hardly accept it. Of course, Robin Hood was a real person, so it had to happen eventually. I would like to see his legacy live on though in some way other than through the stories. This is why I want to write a story about offspring of Robin Hood who continue his wild yet admirable antics.

I could not find anything online about Robin Hood ever having a child after doing a little research. He did, of course, have a love interest named Maid Marian. She was rather on the rebellious side as well, and I think it would be great if the two of them had a child together.

Robin Hood and Maid Marian, online source

I want to write a story where Robin Hood’s legacy lives on through his offspring. I could give it a tragic beginning where Maid Marian finds Robin Hood on his death bed and tells him she is with child. Then, Maid Marian can join the merry men, and they can help her raise her son. He will, of course, be a prodigy and can butt heads with the new sheriff of Nottingham who can incidentally be the old sheriff’s son. That way, the rivalry could live on through the sons. My story could be the first meeting between the two.

Characters:
Robin Hood’s son: He is just as cocky and ornery as his father, but he is also dedicated to his father’s values.


Sheriff of Nottingham: He is only sheriff because he is trying to live up to his father’s expectations, but he is not as adamant about stopping the outlaw as his father was. He actually agrees with the outlaw in some ways, but he is conflicted because he does not want to disappoint his father.  

Bibliography: Ballads of Robin Hood from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child, link to online source

1 comment:

  1. Lillie, I was interested in reading this plan after I read the actual story you did. You had a great outline and highlighted what changes you wanted to make from the original version. Also I like the addition of new characters. I was actually born in Nottingham so the Robin Hood story has lived with me all my life. Good job!

    ReplyDelete