Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (LibriVox), Part A

The Frog Prince, online source

I love the classic fairy tale storytelling style of these stories. They take me back to childhood. These stories just had that “child sitting in bed listening to their parents read a story” vibe. I hope that I am able to emulate that in my story. There have been so many retellings of these classic stories that I am reluctant to try to make another version of my own, but I am going to do my best.  The Frog Prince story was a bit repetitive, but I think that is helpful as a children’s story. I found myself becoming impatient and wanting the girl to just help him out already. Also, I really wished that she had actually kissed the frog. I will definitely add this detail to my story.  I did like the rhyme that was repeated throughout the story though, and of course I liked the happy ending. I would have liked it better, however, had the princess wanted to help the frog on her own volition. I want to have the princess kiss the frog simply because she feels sorry for him and wants to help him out. It could maybe be better even if the princess was not a princess at all but a poor little girl. This would emphasize the lesson that being caring and helpful can help you reap great reward. I would like to add more description to my story, too. Vivid descriptions are so important, especially for children’s stories. This set of stories did have some great descriptions, but I want to add some that are even more exciting, focusing on all of the senses. I could even reverse the gender roles making the frog a princess and have a little boy help her out! This is something that I do not think I have ever seen done before with this story, but I think it would be great since reversing gender roles is so popular these days. 

Bibliography: The Frog Prince from Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm, link to online source

No comments:

Post a Comment