Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Reading Notes: Russion Folktales, Part A

I really liked the idea that the dead mother came back to care for the baby and comfort the baby, but why did the baby have to die? How morbid! I would love to write a story where there is a happier ending because the original ending was way too sad and abrupt for me. The story was almost too short because it lacked details that could have made it better. I am so glad that the pope got what he deserved in that story, but I wished I could know what happened with the poor man. I could write a story where he ends up with riches and success some other way and remains rewarded for his good nature. I enjoyed the story about the orphan. It read so easily and was so captivating that I was finished with it sooner than  I thought I would be. My favorite aspects of these stories is that a good character will bring you reward, but a bad one will bring you punishment. No matter what story I decide to write, I will definitely keep this aspect of the Russian stories alive. I still don’t know how I feel about the water snake story. There were aspects that I liked and aspects that I didn’t. If I were to retell it, I would either make her mother killing the snake an act of rescue because the daughter would not actually enjoy her life with him or I would have him turn into a human so he could come live with them on land and they have a nice life together. I like happy endings too much, I guess. I just have the opinion that if you are getting to control what happens in the story, why not make it something good? There are too many unhappy endings in the real world. I figure I might as well make happy endings if I have control over it!

The Water Snake, online source

Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales: A Choice Collection of Muscovite Folk-lore by W. R. S. Ralston, link to online source

No comments:

Post a Comment