Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (LibriVox), Part B

I appreciate that these stories show the justice of the characters who make good decisions are the ones who reap the benefits in the end. I know it was better for the brothers to awaken from their stone form, but I think they got off a little too easy, especially since they got to marry the other two sisters. I think it is very important that stories have justice for both the characters who make good decisions and for those who make bad ones, even if it is only slight and subtle. The story about the twelve huntsmen had a weird premise to me. I thought it was odd that her fiancĂ© did not recognize her nor did he realize the huntsman were in fact women. The whole premise of the stepping on peas thing was odd, too. I was fond of the ending though since the two lovers were reunited. I thought the onomatopoeias in the Jorinda and Jorindel story were weird. There were several things I found in this story that were odd to me when I think about it. I liked the story about the horse and the lion, but I felt sorry for the lion. I would like to write my own version of the story where everyone gets what they deserve basically. The man should let the horse stay in his stable, and the lion should get to have a happy ending, too. Or possibly, I could get rid of the lion completely, and the man could have some other motivation behind making the decision to let the horse stay. I think it was a bit morbid that the men in the story of the twelve princesses got beheaded for not being able to figure out where the princesses went. It seems the classic fairy tales are all a bit more morbid than we like in this day and age. 
The Horse and the Lion, online source

Bibliography: Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm, link to online source

No comments:

Post a Comment