Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: Ballads of Robin Hood, Part A

I was not expecting the Robin Hood stories to rhyme, so that was a nice surprise! The dialect was a bit difficult to read at times but not too bad. I thought it was kind of sad that the forresters died, but I did enjoy Robin Hood’s arrogant attitude. He is a fun character to read about; that’s for sure. I love how he seems to be good at anything he tries, and he just knows that he will be. I wonder what Robin Hood would be like in modern day. That could be a fun story to write- Robin Hood in high school. I loved the story of Little John. I think it is great that they could fight and be men about it, and it is great that Little John joins them. The fact that two men can fight and then be friends afterward is a fun element to me. I like how the sentence structure is switched around sometimes to make the rhymes work. I have played with that a bit in my nursery rhyme storybook, but these stories really sow the value of it. I like how Robin Hood encounters all these men and fights with them, but I think it would be fun to see Robin Hood fight a girl who can hold her own. I always related Robin Hood with the whole “steals from the rich, gives to the poor idea,” which I hope to see more of in the second set of stories. I do love how Robin Hood doesn’t know a stranger; he interacts with others as if he has met them before or even known them for a while. I liked that there was a love story incorporated into all the fighting stories with Robin and Allan a Dale. I also loved Robin saving the three squires because that showed his helpful side. I am excited to read the next set of stories!

Robin Hood, online source

Bibliography: Ballads of Robin Hood from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child, link to online source

No comments:

Post a Comment