Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Reflections


Reading:
I think I have done a pretty good job with my reading selections so far. I have found something interesting in every collection of stories I have read. There have been some stories throughout the collections that I was really tempted to just skip over, but there was always a great story or multiple to make it worth it. The reading I have enjoyed most was the Arabian Nights reading. The whole story inception thing really captivated me. I need to do better about setting aside a time to do my reading though because I have been bad about doing them at the last minute which makes it less enjoyable.

My reading notes are extremely helpful each week. I usually already have my story planned out after I write my reading notes post. I think I am doing very well with reading like a writer. I have all kinds of ideas about my own stories flowing through my head as I read.

The Cherokee readings sound intriguing for weeks nine and ten. Almost all of the stories for weeks eleven and twelve sound enticing! That is going to be a hard decision! The same goes for week thirteen and fourteen. We are ending strong for sure!

Writing:
I am happy with the stories I have written this semester. I have learned that I am very fond of dialogue and need to get better at adding descriptive details. I usually ask my mom for help with my writing because she was an English teacher for many years and has her masters. I trust her advice completely.

I am very excited about my Storybook! I have it planned out very well, and my first story was such fun to write!

I would like to try writing a story in a script format. I saw that in a storybook, and it made me remember doing a script in a creative writing class in high school. It was a lot of fun, and I would like to try it again. Like I mentioned earlier, I need to get better about adding descriptive details and imagery to my stories. I think one of the best ways to develop my writing skills is simply to practice, read others’ stories, and get feedback- all things we do in this class! 
Connecting:

I usually admire the novel ideas that others have of which I would have never thought. I have noticed a lot of grammar issues, mainly run-ons and comma issues that I really hope to avoid in my writing. I think I have gotten better at feedback as the semester has progressed. I want to start reading others’ stories a bit more critically because I am usually a bit too complimentary, which isn’t always that helpful, although it is nice to hear.



Image Info:
Pen and Paper, online source
Connections, online source

No comments:

Post a Comment