Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Growth Mindset


I am usually pretty good at pushing myself to go farther. If I feel overwhelmed though, I will resort to only doing the minimum. This remains true across the board. If I am really enthusiastic about something, I am more inclined to push myself.               

I definitely do not look for praise or reward. I am very self-motivated. I used to be too hard on myself, but I have gotten better about it. Of course, it is encouraging to get outside praise and/or reward though.

I am very bad about wanting to stay in my comfort zone. I am not completely opposed to try new things, but I need the right kind of motivation to do so. The motivation must come from the right person and the right place in order to be effective in leading me to branch out. I am one to play it safe as opposed to making risks more often than not though. I used to hate change, but I have become more open to it lately. Parenting teaches you to roll with the flow.
Inspiration, online source


I focus on both my grades and my learning, but I hate to say that I focus more on my grades. This is different if I am taking a course which I am actually interested in though.

I am good at seeing both the short and long-term perspective. This is another thing that becomes difficult when I am overwhelmed though.

I do not like others to make my decisions for me. I will sometimes let it happen if I feel too shy and won’t speak up, but I am very good at setting my own goals and, more importantly, sticking to them. My bashfulness and social anxiety keeps me from asking some questions that I have and causing me to rely on sticking to what I know, but motherhood is helping me get past this issue. I am less scared to ask questions now.

I usually have a good idea of when I am good at something and when I am not, but I don’t let that knowledge get me down. I will keep trying to get better, unless it is something that is not important. I don’t usually feel bored or frustrated unless I am tired. I have a pretty enthusiastic attitude toward life in general.

Of course, I am more likely to choose what is easy as opposed to what is hard, but I can also see what will be “easy” in the long run. I will not make the “easy” decision if it means a more difficult future. I tend to want things to go “right” the first time, but I have no problem working on something if need be.
Motivational Baby, online source


I was a never a procrastinator until I became a mom. Now, I am the queen of procrastination. I have really been struggling with that this semester, and I keep telling myself that if I can only make it to spring break, I will do better for the remainder of the semester.

In all honesty, I am not good at taking constructive criticism. It is a weakness of mine, and I tend to be defensive when I get it. I am trying really hard to get better at it though. I used to be a perfectionist, but I am a fairly eager learner. I will take others’ advice into consideration to improve my work; I just may not take it well in my head at first. Although I get defensive, I will always use my mistakes to improve in the future. I don’t usually compare myself to others, but I do learn from others’ successes and mistakes.

                For the remainder of the semester, I am going to do my best to resist the temptation to only do the minimum when things get overwhelming. I will push myself to continue to give my best effort. I need to branch out and try new and different writing styles with my stories to help me get better at branching out from my comfort zone. I need to do better about sticking to the schedule I set for myself to get things done. I am good at setting a schedule… I just need to get better at following it! I will continue to work on not taking criticism personally and use it to improve my work.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lillie! I understand how you feel with playing it safe and staying in your comfort zone. It's just difficult to put yourself out there.

    I imagine that as a parent, you have a lot on your plate! I'm sure it's hard to keep up with everything and I really admire you for being able to put the effort into doing so.

    The fact that you've been able to list out your weaknesses and how to fix and improve yourself is really awesome. I wish you good luck on it and I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lillie! first off, the pictures you used in this post actually made me laugh out loud a little so thank you for that haha!
    I can relate to working for grades and not for learning, isn't that basically what we've been conditioned to do our whole lives?
    As for you only becoming a procrastinator since you've become a mom-HOW? Teach me your pre-baby ways because I have no babies and still can't manage to not procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete